Oct 17, 2008

Smashing Pumpkins at The Charlottesville Pavilion - Aug. 16th 2008 - Charlottesville, VA


The Mighty SP! If ya know what i mean! They'rrrrereeee backkkkkkk!
This is another concert from a few months back that I would like to share with you. The WifeBot and I took a road trip to VA to catch Billy, Jimmy, and Co. I see a trend here as last year we took another road trip to see SP in Philadelphia at the Tower Theatre. Awesome. Now, back to the task at hand. The SP announced a summer warm up Tour for their upcoming 20th anniversary tour in November. They didnt plan any tri-state area gigs on the summer tour, so I checked out the closest spot they would be playing and that happened to be Charlottesville, VA. Lucky me as it turns out that Charlotesville, VA is a really nice place to visit and see a show, especially in the Summer. We also visited Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water in PA on the way. WOW! Cool place to visit if you ever get a chance, its more near Pittsburgh than anything else so plan accordingly. Anyhowm after Falling water we stayed in Winchseter, VA for the night before proceeding to C-ville as the locals say.


So we left Winchester and headed south through the Shenandoah National Park and that was another cool trip. Dont drive the whole thing as its long and slow. You are basically driving a road that is built mostly at the top of mountains and ridges. Awesome views, serene, historic etc. Check it out.

So then we finally made it to C-ville and headed to Monticello to check out Mr. Thomas Jefferson's crib. I must say that he was quite a forward thinker and is another must visit when in the C-Ville. Also in C-Ville is the amazing

University of Virginia. Another one of Mr. Jefferson's brilliant ideas. Gotta love that guy. So eventually we got to the show and it I was expecting a somewhat anticlimactic end to the trip with the SP show as they decided to play the same exact setlist every night of the warm up tour. Leave it to Corgy to pull that shit out of his hat! Nothing unexpected I guess. But, the show was very well played and sounded extremely crisp since they have been doing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I think you got the point.


In the middle of the pedestrian mall near the venue is a freedom of speech wall where anyone can write anything on a huge piece of double sided slate. I felt I had to leave my 2 cents. Notice my initials at the bottom, DB is my nickname from the members of an SP forum. You see, since I let my feelings be known about not changing the setlist on the warmup tour, I was immediately labeled a douche bag. Lol, love it. Anyhow, here is the setlist and am looking forward to giving you the update from the Nov. 7th 2008 Show at the United Palace Theatre :

C-BOT

No comments: